Monday, September 19, 2011

for the tummy-Seeds

If we have ever spoken, you will know my love of seeds.  Some may say that I have more than a normal fascination about their presence in my food.  I rarely let a meal slip by without a sprinkle of these little beauties to and some crunch, protein, vitamins, or even just because they look so darn pretty.  If you want to see a fight occur at my house, come by around 7 pm on a night where some toasted salted pumpkin seeds are on the table. I am no joking when I say that seeds have saved an otherwise kid-disastrous meal.  Oh, you don't like it?  Here I'll just put some seeds on it.  And all is good again.
At any time there is at least 10 different types of seeds hanging around my pantry.  The staples are: sesame, poppy, sunflower, pumpkin, hemp, chia, flax. The others are used for not so everyday things like sauerkraut or pickling and are seen more as spices than seeds like fennel and caraway and dill and coriander. I am always surprised when someone picks up one of my seed jars and wonders aloud how one would go about using so many seeds, then I show them the stash.  To keep up with the usage I have to order in 5 lb increments which last about three months, so I rotate each month to replenish one at a time to keep cost down.  If you believe anything I have to say, than trust me when I tell you that seeds should be a part of your life.  A, leave a tootbrush at your place, kind of way.  And if you are truly hooked, you may even make them a key.
Here is a recipe for some delightful biscuits that go smashingly with a hearty soup or stew.  I seem to be able to feed a big(ish) hungry man on soup so long as there is a protein rich bread sitting next to his bowl. 

Seedy bar bisciuts
1 3/4 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c oats
1 T baking powder
1/2 t cream of tartar
1/2 t salt
2 T sugar
1 cup total of sunflower, sesame, and hemp seeds
1/2 c shredded cheese


1/2 c melted butter or oil
1 c milk(we use almond)

mix the dry.  add the wet.  drop onto a pan and cook at 450 for about 10 minutes.  Eat. Smile. And buy more seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment