Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Preparing for Winter

I seem to always wait until the last minute to make the remedies that get us through cold and flu season.  I will have the dried elderberries sitting on the shelf, the calendula flowers in a jar looking pretty, and the astragalus root hanging around in the pantry but they never seem to meet their partners in healing until the first sniffles have started.  This is not the way to do it.  The garlic ear oil is always more potent when it has been steeping for a while and the ginger syrup takes a few days to prepare so it is certainly not a quick remedy. These remedies are the backbone of our healing and I am determined to have them ready and waiting for their debut in saving my sanity.  So I have decided that once a week I will offer my methods for creating these remedies and that way will have a fully stocked medicine cabinet come winter.  My first remedy is the ever useful lemon honey throat soother.  I never have lemons around in the winter when I need them most so I heard a tip for making this syrup to last indefinitely.  My late night, screaming child, sore throat savior that will hopefully be as amazing to you as it has been to me:

Lemon Honey Throat Soother
1-2 organic lemon washed
1 c (raw if possible) honey

Place a sliced lemon, peel and all, into a jar and cover with honey.  Place in the refrigerator until needed.  Take a spoonful of the honey and add boiled water or just warm water and serve.

The best trick about this syrup is to add any extra slices of lemon you have or a lemon that is about to be compost and the last spoonfuls of honey to the jar whenever you have them.  This creates a never ending supply of the syrup that is my savior.  Over time the peels and pith start to break down into a marmalade consistency and you are going to have to fight the urge to smear it on your toast.  Or if you are like us and go through at least 5 lbs. a month and a few bags of lemons then you have no need to worry about running out.  Make it now and be ready for the first sign of a sniffle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment