Monday, June 13, 2011

Oven Woes

Short of stumbling blindly into a giant pile of money, I will never own this.  This beauty comes form Good Time Stove and sells for over 10K.  I would be hard pressed to spend that much money on a car let alone a stove, but I can dream a pretty dream about it.  I have not always been in the habit of pining over vintage appliances.  I believe that this habit has come with living without a working oven for about three years on and off.  First we struggled with burners that burned too hot and moved on to burners that didn't work at all.  Then we moved and found an oven that cooked our food as if it was angry that I would even consider asking it to bake.  It scorched our food in seconds.  I eventually learned that a 100 degree difference in temperature was the culprit rather than an irritable appliance.  Now we have the same oven deciding about half way through it's job, that it would rather not work.  I am back to the idea that it may be an irritable appliance with a distaste for people who ask it to work the occasional overtime.  I realize that baking all our own bread, and making just about everything I can from scratch is asking a lot of it considering it may not have ever been used by the previous tenant. Ever. In three years.  All the same, I once again have no oven.  I have had to be pretty creative about our meals as to avoid using one whole appliance.  The one that is used to cook most meals eaten in the home.  Therefore, stove-top suppers it has been.  I am running low on ideas though and have had my fill of rice and stir fry.  So for now, I fill my time gazing at pretty vintage stoves and dream of the breads that would come from those doors.  Cause there is none coming from mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment