Monday, May 2, 2011

For the tummy

Bread is always a winner in my book.  I started making our families bread about two years ago on the day that Cora started kindergarten.  I needed something to take my mind away from the fact that my little bird had left the safe home school environment that she was used to.  I knew she was ready.  She knew she was ready.  I was not ready.  So I baked.  Here is the recipe for the multi-purpose dough that I love most.  Thank dear friend Liz for passing this along.

Darn Good Dough
1 c warm water
1/4 c coconut oil
2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp molasses
3 c. flour (any combo)
2 Tsp yeast. (i use dry active)
I also like to add about a half cup of seeds to the dough for some extra nutrition.  I use hemp, chia, sesame, poppy and sunflower. 

If you are using a bread machine put the water on the bottom and the yeast on the top.  If using your hands than i suggest proofing the yeast before beginning.  I believe the key is a nice sticky dough that is kneaded for about 15 to 20 minutes.  This gives the glutens time to soak up all that liquid.  Rise once in the bowl and transfer the tightly tucked and rolled dough into a well oiled bread pan.  I prefer stoneware.  Let rise until when poked, it does not spring back.  Bake 400 degrees until internal temp reaches 190 degrees.  Completely cool no matter how mach you want to eat the warm bit of heaven that is fresh baked bread. 
I also use this for my roll; both burger and dinner. 

A bonus For the Tummy!

Grape and Rosemary Foccacia
dough listed above
1 c sliced grapes(organic!)
2 Tbsp chopped rosemary
olive oil
salt and pepper
hard cheese of choice

After one rise, roll out the dough on a sheet covered with parchment.  Press grapes into the surface and sprinkle the rosemary, salt, pepper and oil over the top.  Bake at 400 degrees until it starts to brown.  Add some grated cheese( i use a blend of locatelli and fontina) and cook until brown and the center reaches 190 degrees. About 25 minutes.  Cut and smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment